Sunday, March 20, 2005

Freidman Recommends A Nobel for Sistani

Once again I find myself agreeing with Freidman. I must be getting soft or Tom is getting smarter.The New York Times > Opinion > Op-Ed Columnist: A Nobel for Sistani: "The process of democratizing the Arab world is going to be long and bumpy. But the chances for success are immeasurably improved when we have partners from within the region who are legitimate, but have progressive instincts. That is Mr. Sistani. Lady Luck has shined on us by keeping alive this 75-year-old ayatollah, who resides in a small house in a narrow alley in Najaf and almost never goes out the door. How someone with his instincts and wisdom could have emerged from the train wreck that was Saddam Hussein's Iraq, I will never know. All I have to say is: May he live to be 120 - and give that man a Nobel Prize. "

No comments: