Saturday, January 01, 2005

Books in Foreplay

Over Christmas and New Year's (Merry and Happy to You.) [The Brits put the period outside the ellipse and we rebel USAmericans put it inside, I just try to put it somewhere that's proper. Reference "...Eats, Shoots and Leaves...".] I am re-reading Huntington's The Clash of Civilizations and wish we had paid a hell of a lot more attention the first time around. Recall in 1997 he predicted 911 and the Afgan and Iraqi war and more.

I have almost read for the second time Covey's The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness. When I say the second time it means I respect his work and have given the "Seven Habits" to God only knows how many people, including the written or time impaired the audio versions.

To digress, because its my blog, Covey's 7 Habits are: [and if are an OB professional you could do this dog drunk and happy, if you are not an Organizational Behavior pro and read this you have common sense and could do this DDH, we pros love jargon] are:
1) Be Proactive
2)Begin with the End in Mind
3)Put First Things First
4)Think Win/Win
5)Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
6)Synergize
7)Sharpen the Saw (man, I love this one when I play golf or poker, not Covey's intent)
OK for anyone on the edge of their seat, Covey's 8th Habit:
Find your Voice and Inspire Others to Follow Theirs.
Part One of the book and appendix 2 are worth owning the book. He does try to sell stuff and get you to watch an enforcing DVD included with the book which is to me irritating and to most I think an enhancement.

The important point of Covey's latest book to me is the notion and importance of spiritual intelligence. Just those words say what he is getting us to think about, experience and teach.

Last on my reading if anyone is awake, because I love Tom Wolfe I am reading I am Charlotte Simmons. Wolfe did spend time in Allegheny County, (he was the only guy in the ABC store in Sparta that ever wore a white suit) and he is a hell of a writer. So unless you are sending a daughter to undergraduate school the book is worth a read but perhaps not given how good are his past wonders.


No comments: