Tuesday, April 12, 2005

What a Soldier Learned in Iraq

A personal story from a soldier returned from Iraq in WSJ's OpinionJournal : "There are no longer generators running, or armored vehicles rumbling, or mortars exploding, and the roar of the silence is deafening to me. What I hear at night now is the gentle breaths released from the perfect lips of my sons. The same lips that I cannot kiss enough. The lips that make my eyes fill with tears every time they touch my cheeks.
My release from Fort Drum came earlier than expected, so when I pulled into my driveway at noon the house was empty. I dropped my bags inside and walked alone through the rooms, soaking in the images and smells that had been only a memory during ten months in Iraq.
My older son's first-grade teacher had been wonderful to me while I was away. She sent school updates and pictures via e-mail almost weekly. So when I popped my head into her classroom she came running and gave me a 'welcome home' hug.
'Easton is practicing a song. Why don't you surprise him?'"
***********
Read it all and pass it on.

No comments: